Waters Highlights ESG Progress and New Commitments in its 2022 Report
- Waters’ ESG progress recognized through inclusion in Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index,Barron’s 100 Most Sustainable Companies 2022, and the Human Rights Campaign 2022 Corporate Equality Index.
- Increased companywide commitments to reduce environmental footprint, boost inclusion and STEM education, and report specific and transparent ESG metrics via leading industry frameworks.
- New materiality assessment informs updated strategy ensuring ESG principles are integrated into Waters’ business objectives, operations, and products.
MILFORD, Mass. — Waters Corporation (NYSE:WAT) today released its 2022 Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Report highlighting the company’s efforts for 2021 and the first half of 2022 to reduce its environmental footprint, develop a workforce that is more representative of the society we live in, and continue strong governance practices.
“We are making steady progress on our goals, which is reflected in the recognition of our efforts by leading media and inclusion in ESG investor indexes,” said Dr. Udit Batra, President and CEO of Waters Corporation. “I am proud of the Waters team who worked to integrate responsible practices across our business with significant milestones, such as achieving LEED certification at our Taunton precision chemistry manufacturing facility and expanding STEM education opportunities through our Waters Student Academy program. Doing our part to leave the world better than we found it is at the core of Waters’ ESG strategy.”
Waters’ ESG Report Highlights:
- 5% year-over-year reduction (2020-2021) in Scope 1+2 Greenhouse Gas Emissions and 6% decrease in water consumption at the company’s largest owned manufacturing facilities.
- Waters earned a 100/100 score on the Human Rights Campaign 2022 Corporate Equality Index and launched the Waters Student Academy to promote STEM education for underrepresented students.
- Introduced a political participation policy; in addition to an independent chair, 57% of Waters’ Board of Directors is ethnically and/or gender diverse.
In addition to highlights and stories demonstrating the company’s ESG goals in action, the Waters 2022 ESG report provides detailed progress against its ESG objectives via industry frameworks such as the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) and Global Reporting Initiative (GRI). Further proving its commitment to world-class governance and transparency, Waters aligned its ESG reporting with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and expects to report future progress against the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) framework.
Updated ESG Strategy:
In 2021, Waters conducted a third-party materiality assessment to gain stakeholder input informing the company’s ESG strategy. Waters’ ESG strategy is grounded in the company’s guiding principle to “leave the world better than we found it” and seeks to do so by focusing on the following:
Reduce our most significant environmental impacts
Become more representative of the society we live in
Enhance long-term stakeholder value with good governance and effective oversight
In recognition of its ESG efforts, Waters was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index (DJSI); was listed as the top-ranked life sciences company in Barron’s Top 100 Most Sustainable Companies 2022; was tenth-ranked among Healthcare and Life Sciences companies in the Newsweek 2022 list of Most Responsible Companies; and was recognized in the 2022 Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index as one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ+ Equality.
- Read the complete Waters 2022 ESG Report
- Read the Waters Blog: “Solving Problems for the Next Generation”
- Learn about job opportunities at Waters by visiting the Waters career page
- Follow and connect with Waters via LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook
About Waters Corporation (www.waters.com)
Waters Corporation (NYSE:WAT), a global leader in analytical instruments and software, has pioneered chromatography, mass spectrometry, and thermal analysis innovations serving the life, materials, and food sciences for more than 60 years. With more than 7,800 employees worldwide, Waters operates directly in more than 35 countries, including 14 manufacturing facilities, and with products available in more than 100 countries.
Waters is a trademark of Waters Corporation.
Media: Janice Foley
Senior Manager, Public Relations