Company Announcements Precision System Science, reagent company Diagenode SA and Nippon Gene announced plans to develop an automated epigenetic system. Claire M. Fraser-Liggett, PhD, and Steven St. Peter, MD, resigned from Helicos Biosciences’ Board in May. Helicos BioSciences named Stephen P. Hall senior vice president and CFO in May. He was formerly CFO of TriPath […]

Company Announcements Agilent announced the acquisition of the Blos bead nitrogen/phosphorous detector technology in March. In April, OI entered into an agreement with DANI Instruments SpA to sell DANI’s sample introduction and detector accessories. Sales began in May 2008. OI entered into a one-year value added resellers (VAR) agreement with Agilent Technologies effective June 1, […]

Venlo, The Netherlands 7/1/08—QIAGEN NV has purchased Corbett Life Science for $66 million in cash, $4 million in restricted common stock, and milestone payments and other contingencies worth up to $65 million over four years. The purchase includes 82.5% of outstanding stock and the exercise of an exclusive purchase option for the remaining 17.5%. Headquartered […]

Waltham, MA 7/1/08—Thermo Fisher Scientific has acquired Open Biosystems, which provides RNAi, gene expression and protein detection products. Open Biosystems specializes in short-hairpin RNA (shRNA) and viral vector systems for delivering shRNA into living cells. The company had 2007 revenues of $14 million. Marijn E. Dekkers, president and CEO of Thermo Fisher Scientific, stated, “The […]

Pharmaceutical R&D spending in Europe rose 5.0% to an estimated €26.0 billion ($35.6 billion) in 2007, according to the European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Association’s (EFPIA) 2008 Edition of “Pharmaceutical Industry in Figures.” R&D as a percentage of sales for EFPIA members was 18.5%, similar to 2006’s figure of 18.6%. The EU pharmaceutical industry […]

The chemical sector may be particularly vulnerable to conditions created by the credit crisis, according to some observers. Private equity companies have purchased many chemical companies in the past five years, resulting in a highly leveraged industry. UK-based Ineos Group’s ratings outlook was recently downgraded by S&P. Rising costs for petrochemicals, oil and commodities have […]

When scientists bring up the subject of liquid chromatography (LC), complexity and high cost are two things that immediately come to the mind. While LC has proven to be a very useful analytical technique in the laboratory, as well as being advantageous in selected preparative and production-scale applications, it is an extremely involved technique that […]